Monday, September 15, 2008

These five athletes have unbeatable beauty skills

Game Faces. Check out their get-gorgeous strategies




Jennie Finch



Pitcher, 28

2004 Olympic gold medalist; 2003 Pan Am Games gold medalist; NCAA winning streak (60 games, 2000-2002)






"It's not easy playing softball in Arizona--I'm in the sun 16 to 20 hours a week. Luckily, I have an awesome sunscreen, La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL. And I swear by Natural Advantage moisturizer for protecting me from sun spots. My poor feet also get beaten up when I pitch, because I'm always dragging my right toe through the dirt। I travel with a big tub of Aquaphor skin ointment. My 2-year-old son, Ace, has eczema, so I grease him up, then slather it on any spot on my skin that's really dry.

When my hair's not in a ponytail, I style it with a wide-barrel curling iron and PureOlogy ShineMax to fight frizz। As for manicures, I don't get them during the season--I need my calluses for pitching!"

"I bring this with me everywhere."LaRoche-Posay Anthelios XL SPF 50+ ($50 for two, amazon.com)



Gretchen Bleiler



Snowboarder, 27

2006 Olympic silver medalist












"In our sport, you've got to be tough, but you can also be feminine, which I am। I mean, I live out of my Travelon cosmetics case. I love it! It holds everything--a hair dryer, my Vincent Longo lip gloss, Kiss My Face Hand Alert lotion, Shu Uemura Depsea Water Facial Mist (in rose--it totally refreshes), and baby powder (if you rub it on your back and under your arms, you'll stay fresh on a long trip).

I'm the worst person I could be when it comes to my hair: On really cold days, it actually freezes! And my hair gets really dried out from the sun and wind. I wash it a couple of times a week with Herbal Essences Color Me Happy shampoo and conditioner। On my skin, I use Bio Essentials cleanser and toner--they're easy on the skin. In the summer, when I ride the glacier at Mount Hood [Oregon], the sun is so intense I wear a helmet, goggles, and a bandana. I also use Mission Daily Offense SPF 30 sunscreen. It's water- and sweat-resistant, which is great, because you really break a sweat hiking up the half pipe."
"This is the most wonderful-smelling lotion ever."Kai Body Lotion ($30 for 8 oz, kaifragrance.com)

"This gets rid of tangles."Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist ($10 for 6.8 oz, paulmitchell.com)

"My hands get so dried out on planes."Kiss My Face Hand Alert ($9 for 3 oz, kissmyface.com)






Mikele Barber



Sprinter, 27


2007 World Outdoor 4x100 gold medalist; 2007 Pan Am Games 100-meter gold medalist, 4x100 silver medalist









"Usually people who run track don't have pretty feet, but I take good care of mine. I'll slather on something really thick, like Body Butter from The Body Shop, then slip my feet into plastic bags and let them marinate. Sometimes my sister paints a design on my big toe after I get a pedicure. When it comes to makeup, I keep it simple, but I make my eyes dramatic with L'Oreal Voluminous mascara and smoky eyeliner। Mac Lipglass in Oh Baby is my number-one must-have. I feel naked without it. I even wear it when I run."


Me'Lisa Barber
Sprinter, 27
2006 World Indoor 60 meter champion



"We work out for seven hours a day--and three or four of them are in the sun--so my skin and hair dry out। I buy Vitamin E, A & D Moisturizing Cream at GNC and put it on my face every night. I also love anything to do with my hair--it could be extensions or going to a salon to get it done--and I use a leave-in conditioner every day (I love KeraCare products). My other beauty must: perfume. I like scents that aren't strong but that make people say 'Hey--what's that?' when they walk by."

"I slick my hair back with this gel."SoftSheen Carson Let's Jam gel ($4 for 4.4 oz, drugstore.com)

"I have several bottles of Kenzo fragrances।"KenzoAmour ($50 for 1 oz, sephora.com)

"This stays on forever."Mac Lipglass in Oh Baby ($14, maccosmetics.com)

"Shea butter is thick enough to take care of my feet."The Body Shop Shea Body Butter ($20 for 6.9 oz, thebodyshop.com)




Kassia Meador

Surfer, 26



8 titles worldwide since 2004; 2nd place, 2008 Roxy Longboard Festival (Australia)










"Want to know my best beauty tip? Surfing। I think the salt helps my hair texture. And because I'm in the sun, my cheeks are always rosy. But the saltwater sucks moisture out of my skin. A good lotion, like Eucerin, is a must; so is sunscreen. For my body, I use Coppertone Sport spray--it absorbs fast, so I don't slip off my board! I use Shiseido sunscreen cream on my face and their Sun Protection Stick on my lips. My mom always says, 'You've got your skin for your whole life, so don't be afraid to spend a little money to keep it nice.'"


"This brings out my curls."Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock ($13 for 4 oz, drugstore.com)


"A little eye makeup and I feel dressed up."Nars eyeliner in Black Moon, plus mascara ($20 and $23, narscosmetics.com)


"Surfers have been using this for years."Shiseido Sun Protection Stick SPF 35 ($21, amazon.com)







Sue Bird


Point Guard, 27



WNBA's Seattle Storm; University of Connecticut (NCAA women's basketball champions, 2000 and 2002)








"I'm the natural type when it comes to beauty। I don't wear much makeup, though I will cop to owning a tube of mascara. But when it comes to skin and hair, I've got it covered. What you'll find in my gym bag: Purell, Goody hair bands, and Herbal Essences Set Me Up hair spray--because my hair is always up in a ponytail when I play, and I can't concentrate when wispies come loose and get in my face. I don't have inherently dry skin, but I'm always practicing at the gym and have to take a lot of showers, so it can dry out. To keep it soft, I use Dove Body Wash. A lip moisturizer is another must, since I spend my winters playing basketball in Russia. Blistex DCT (Daily Conditioning Treatment) really works and leaves a nice shine. And you know the really good thing about being on a team? If you forget something, someone always has lotion or shampoo."



"I bring these into the shower."Olay Daily Facials Cleansing Cloths ($6 for 30, walgreens.com)


"When I wear a ponytail, I have to use hair spray."Herbal Essences Set Me Up hair spray ($4 for 8 oz, drugstore.com)


"This prevents cracked lips."Blistex DCT lip balm ($2, drugstore.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by emfaruq. All Rights Reserved.